Codec Problems and How You Can Solve Them

We're looking for suggestions! For what? Just about anything. Anime and AMVs to show, j-pop/rock to review, features you'd like to see on this site, and so on...

Codec Problems and How You Can Solve Them

Postby thelaughingfool » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Perhaps some of you have noticed a bizarre effect on some of the anime shown at Otaku. Some shows, in particular those that have high file sizes and bit rates, will freeze and do other strange things that really ruins your enjoyment of the show. The solution is quite simple though: You need to change your codec. Now like most Otakus, I was raised on the CCCP Codec for VLC Media Player. Sadly, neither VLC or the CCCP is infallible. True, it will play anything, but not always very well. A much better solution is to use the K-Lite Mega Codec and Media Player Classic. I'm not sure what strange voodoo compels this to be a better option, but it is. I have made the switch, and haven't had these problems since. Now CCCP and K-Lite are mutually exclusive. In order to install one, you need to uninstall the other. This is annoying, but I have yet to find anything CCCP does that K-Lite can't do. Though the opposite is not equally true.
In short, I'd recommend you use the provided links and make the switch if you want your anime to come out cleaner than it does now. I'm sure you won't regret it.
I'm just a love machine.
thelaughingfool
Crazy like a Bi-Polar Fox

Location: Where the sun is always shining and the air smells like warm root beer

Return to Suggestion Box